Thursday, February 2, 2017

Nessie Revealed!! -- Review of Susan Cooper's "The Boggart and The Monster"

NEW SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY REVIEWS
Reviews Of Recently Published Science Fiction And Fantasy Books
Reviewer: Forrest Schultz schultz_forrest@yahoo.com 770-583-3258

February 2, 2017

Nessie  Revealed!!  (Or  Nessie  Bids  Adieu  To  The  Loch!!)

A  Review  Of

Susan Cooper The Boggart and The Monster (Margaret K. McElderry Books, 1997
                          185 pp   $7.99   ISBN: 0-689-81330-9

Reviewer:  Forrest W. Schultz

     I am a long-time fan of the Loch Ness Monster; and, when I lived in Philly, a friend of mine was a scientist who belonged to a Loch Ness Monster scientific study organization, and under its auspices he traveled to the Scottish Highlands, (which, by the way, is a great setting for stories).  My “bet” is on the dinosaur theory, which, by the way, is mentioned in the book under review, which is one of the most interesting and well written stories I have ever read penned by a long-time author whom I have just now discovered by means of a Goodreads email I received yesterday from one of my fellow speculative fiction writers in the Lost Genre Guild.  Cooper “gives away” the story in the jacket blurb, which I shall not repeat here so I do not need to issue a spoiler alert! 

    In re the name of my reviews blog, let me just say that the book itself is not “new” but rather is “newly discovered” (yesterday!) by me!  Ha!  Ha!

     I have already started, beginning today, to read Cooper’s other stories, beginning with the quintology titled The Dark Is Rising.  I will let you know what I think of it after I have completed reading it.


     Information on the author is available at her website www.thelostland.com.  

No comments:

Post a Comment