Monday, February 6, 2017

Three Modern Teens Are Drawn Into A Quest For The Grail -- Review of Susan Cooper's "Over Sea, Under Stone"

NEW SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY REVIEWS
Reviews Of Recently Published Science Fiction And Fantasy Books
Reviewer: Forrest Schultz schultz_forrest@yahoo.com 770-583-3258

February 6, 2017

Three  Modern  Teens  Are  Drawn  Into  A  Quest  For  The  Grail

A Review of

Susan Cooper Over Sea, Under Stone (Margaret K. Elderry Books, 2000)                          
                          $5.64  304pp  ISBN: 978-0689840357

Reviewer:  Forrest W. Schultz

     Last week I had the exciting experience of coming across a great fantasy author, Susan Cooper, who has been around for a LONG time but was unbeknownst to me before then.  I liked her book about Nessie so much that I decided to review it and to read her other books, beginning with the one under review here, WHICH – GET THIS, begins the same way (!!):  three teenagers [while rummaging through old stuff in the attic in the old house where they are vacationing] happen upon a (hitherto unknown to them) very old strange map which leads them onto a quest for the Holy Grail!!  I swear I am not making this up!!   Just as I was NOT on a quest for a fantasy author, so they were not on a quest for the Grail – in both cases it just happened (or did it??).

    There have been MANY stories about Grail Quests, but I have NEVER read (or heard of) any that are anything like this one!  And, that is all I am going to tell you because I do not want to give away the story.  The only other thing I will tell you is that this book is the first book of a quintology, and that I intend to read the other four books, and, in fact, I began reading the second one last night.  So, stay tuned and I will give you a review of that one. 



No comments:

Post a Comment